As you grow older and face new experiences, what issue or topic do you think you'll have to stand up and debate most often, whether with friends, family, or society?

Prompt Response: As I grow older and face new experiences, I think I will have to debate the issue of balancing my time wisely. I believe I will mainly be debating this issue with my family members, as my mom is always checking on me about my school work and trying to ensure that I am getting all of my work done properly and in a timely manner. This is an issue that is commonly debated in my family because both me and my brother struggle with time management and staying on task, and as a result there are some issues related to school that I have disagreed with my mother on. For example, I wanted to take more than 5 AP classes my junior year, however my mother was concerned that I would struggle with the amount of rigor in those classes as I have a difficult time with organization and getting my work done quickly. Ultimately, I ended up choosing 5 AP classes to take for my junior year, however I think that my problem of with time management and organization will likely be debated once again in the future, as some people in my family may find that the careers are I am interested in may not suit me well. 

Summary and Reflection: Today in class, we learned the stories behind each of our classmates' names, and we learned about arguments, including their components and how arguments can be present in everything. I learned that technically any conversation and anything in general could be turned into an argument, and I learned that persuasion is not always as critical in an argument as one might think. I can use this information in the future when I am debating with my classmates or other people on a certain topic, or potentially even in a simple conversation with a family member or a friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.

Prompt: After reviewing the feedback on your argument essay, identify one thing you did well and one area you need to improve. Explain what you will do differently the next time you write an AP Lang argument essay.

Prompt: Think about a time when you exaggerated something to make a point, tell a story, or get someone’s attention. What happened? What did you say? Why did you exaggerate? Looking back, do you think your exaggeration made your message more effective? Explain.