Prompt: How has living in or around Atlanta influenced the way you see your community, culture, or identity? If you were speaking to someone unfamiliar with Atlanta, what would you want them to understand about your community?
Prompt Response: I think that living in Atlanta has really made me get a better understanding of how grounded the city is in history, and it has also made me very appreciative of the diverse cultures within Atlanta. I love knowing that Atlanta is the birthplace of Martin Luther King Jr. and that the city has served as an epicenter of the American Civil Rights Movement, as it makes me feel really connected to history and I love that that has created a community centered around social justice and activism. I also enjoy knowing about the trends that Atlanta has set for the rest of the world, such as changing modern hip-hop culture and driving the production of trap music. Additionally, I feel like the diversity of Atlanta has really shaped the community found here in general as there are various cultures that are present and they really help to define and shape the community, as well as instill a sense of pride and expression for many people.
Summary and Reflection: In class on August 19, we watched a speech and completed a worksheet that analyzed the speech. This included the analyzation of the rhetorical situation and the structural choices that were made in the speech. Learning about the speech from Keisha Lance Bottoms really helped me understand what defines the community in Atlanta, and it made me realize how easily protests can become violent and how they can actually harm social justice. Furthermore, the information that I learned from analyzing the speech is very important as it is a skill that I can use whenever I am analyzing a non-fiction text or even a situation in general that allows me to understand how the choices an author makes can influence the reactions of the audience, and it helped me understand the various rhetorical choices and how the speaker and audience can directly influence them.
Comments
Post a Comment