Prompt: Write about something that you believed as a child.

 Prompt Response: When I was very young, I believed that teachers and all of the adults that work at school would live in the school building and sleep there. At that age, I myself was not in school yet, so I did not have any idea about what school was actually like in real life. I imagined that every adult in a school building would be assigned their own room with their own items, including a bed or a couch to sleep on. I also believed that teachers and the rest of the staff would have movie nights during some nights of the school week, and on the weekends too. However, I also thought that teachers were not expected to be at school on the weekends, yet they would still go back to the school building to go to sleep as that is where I thought that they lived all the time.

Summary and Reflection: Today in class, we learned about what claims are, and the 3 categories that claims fit into. I personally learned that claims cannot be a simple statement of fact, but they have to be debatable, meaning that other people may disagree or agree with them. I could use everything I learned in the future when I am constructing an argument and I need to make my thesis or claim clear. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.

Prompt: After reviewing the feedback on your argument essay, identify one thing you did well and one area you need to improve. Explain what you will do differently the next time you write an AP Lang argument essay.

Prompt: Think about a time when you exaggerated something to make a point, tell a story, or get someone’s attention. What happened? What did you say? Why did you exaggerate? Looking back, do you think your exaggeration made your message more effective? Explain.