Think about time when you made a claim or gave an opinion, but someone asked you “Why?” Or “How do you know?” Describe the situation. What evidence did you use to support your point, and why is explaining your evidence just as important as providing it?

Prompt Response:  One time I was discussing some gossip with my friend and he asked me where I had gotten my information from and how I was positive that what we were discussing was even true. I informed him of how I had come to hear about the information from another person, but also how I had spoken directly with the person whom we were discussing. Additionally, I presented my friend with some text messages between me and the person who we were talking about. At the time, the person was a friend of mine and we were trying to solve some drama and issues within the friend group. While I had originally thought that the evidence I presented was sufficient enough to solidify my claim, I now realize that the evidence didn’t fully connect back to my claim and that there was no reasoning or explanation to the evidence. As a result, the evidence didn’t fully make sense, and thus did not strongly support the claim that I had made. This signifies the importance of explaining evidence and providing reasoning for the evidence, as without strong reasoning, evidence cannot fully support your claim, and some of the time the evidence won’t even fully make sense in certain situations.

Summary and Reflection: In class today, we learned about the importance of exposing evidence in an argument. We were provided with several examples of arguments, including some court cases, and how explanation of evidence either led to the accused individual of being found guilty or not guilty. This information can be extremely helpful as it is a skill that is required for most conversations, as a claim supported by evidence must always contain an explanation of evidence or reasoning. While explanation of evidence can be used in daily situations, it is also vital for creating a strong, cohesive argument, as evidence annoy truly support a claim or argument without being properly explained to fit the situation and make sense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.

Prompt: After reviewing the feedback on your argument essay, identify one thing you did well and one area you need to improve. Explain what you will do differently the next time you write an AP Lang argument essay.

Prompt: Think about a time when you exaggerated something to make a point, tell a story, or get someone’s attention. What happened? What did you say? Why did you exaggerate? Looking back, do you think your exaggeration made your message more effective? Explain.