After reviewing and scoring other AP Language argument essays, identify two important takeaways that you can apply to your own writing. Explain what you learned about claims, evidence, commentary, the “so what?” explanation, or the AP rubric. Use specific observations from the essays you reviewed. Write one complete paragraph.

 Prompt Response: One important takeaway that I can apply to my own writing is to focus heavily on earning points for evidence and commentary. I understand that the likely easiest point to earn is the one that is earned by creating a proper thesis. As the evidence and commentary makes up a total of 4 points out of the 6 points that can possibly be earned, I understand that it is extremely important to try and earn all four of those points. Another takeaway that I can apply to my own writing is to ensure that all of the evidence that I incorporate is thoroughly explained. I understand that this is essential as a limited amount of points can be earned if only some pieces of evidence are explained rather than all of the evidence. 

Summary and Reflection: In class on September 16th, we split up into groups of three to four people and practiced looking over and grading argumentative essays from past AP Language exams. The essays consisted of a few low scoring essays, while some earned full points and some scored higher but didn't quite earn all 6 points. This activity was very helpful as it allowed me to understand what exactly I needed to do in order to earn all 6 points on my argumentative essays, and it provided me with several examples of high scoring essays that I can use as references to help me improve my writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.

Prompt: After reviewing the feedback on your argument essay, identify one thing you did well and one area you need to improve. Explain what you will do differently the next time you write an AP Lang argument essay.

Prompt: Think about a time when you exaggerated something to make a point, tell a story, or get someone’s attention. What happened? What did you say? Why did you exaggerate? Looking back, do you think your exaggeration made your message more effective? Explain.