Prompt: Yesterday, you constructed a full AP Language argument essay. Think about the experience from beginning to end. What part of writing the essay was easiest for you, and what part was the most challenging? Why? What is one thing you would do differently in your next argument essay?

 Prompt Response: I would say that writing out the pieces of evidence within my argument was the easiest part for me. After I brainstormed how exactly I was going to answer the prompt, I was able to figure out relatively easily what I could use for my evidence, which facilitated the overall writing process. I would say that the most challenging part was constructing the commentary, because I find it difficult to write the commentary in a manner that doesn’t sound too similar to the actual evidence itself. One thing that I would do differently on my next argumentative essay is focus on keeping my sentences short and concise, because I feel like I spent too much time on creating very long sentences, and I think I could’ve used that time in a better way.

Summary and Reflection: In class on September 23rd, we wrote our first ever argumentative essay. In this activity, we were able to put into practice everything we had been taught about constructing an argumentative essay. I found this activity to be very helpful, as it allowed me to get a real experience with writing an argumentative essay, which is a task that I need to be able to efficiently complete for the actual AP exam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.

Prompt: After reviewing the feedback on your argument essay, identify one thing you did well and one area you need to improve. Explain what you will do differently the next time you write an AP Lang argument essay.

Prompt: Think about a time when you exaggerated something to make a point, tell a story, or get someone’s attention. What happened? What did you say? Why did you exaggerate? Looking back, do you think your exaggeration made your message more effective? Explain.