Think about your practice with the “So What?” method today. What is one thing you understand about commentary now that you did not fully understand before? How will you apply it when writing your next AP Lang argument?
Prompt Response: One thing that I did not previously understand about commentary that I now currently understand is that commentary does not necessarily mean that you are restating the evidence, but rather explaining it and connecting it back to your overall claim. I found it challenging to construct proper commentary before as I was not sure exactly how I should be writing it. However, now that I have had some practice with identifying and creating commentary, I have a better understanding on how exactly the commentary in an essay should be structured. I also have a better understanding on the phrases that can be utilized in commentary, as I found it difficult to come up with professional statements that could be used for my commentary. I can apply what I have learned about commentary to my next AP Lang argument by asking myself the questions that should be answered through commentary, such as the “so what?” question.
Summary and Reflection: In class on Friday, we were presented with various topics in which we had to construct commentary to support the arguments that were presented to us. This allowed me to get a better understanding of how commentary should be constructed, and it also demonstrated good examples of thesis statements and pieces of evidence. Additionally, it helped me practice thinking of how I could phrase commentary in a small amount of time, which is extremely important to be able to do on the AP exam in May.
Comments
Post a Comment